Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Comments from the Book


"A mirror of my feelings... I was most impressed, and excited to see more getting involved in issues like these. Thank you, thank you for having the courage to say what others do not."

"What a beautiful image you have provided! I appreciate your work. I'm half Latina and half white American and never know what to claim... so I claim both. We should all appreciate our heritage as humans. Thanks!"

"While we are all created equal, we are not all treated equally. Whites still get ahead quicker and faster to a greater degree than a minority. We will always see color in this world. Blindness would prevent this. All races can have advantages. We must and should make the best of who and what we are."

"Like it or not, intentional or not, prejudice and stereotypes still exist for everyone. Even "positive" stereotypes are still that- stereotypes. And what happens when you don't fit in to those previously held notions? You feel inferior, which is prejudice. We are moving in the right direction, but there is still a long way to go before we reach true equality in every aspect, not just with race or ethnicity. There are so many types of prejudice. Race/ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religion, politics, citizenship, etc. As human beings it feels natural to draw lines and create "us" and "them." It is our instinct to categorize, label and group. Often this will cause more harm than good because it causes divides that can slowly and quietly become invisible and feel insurmountable. I am not perfect, but I continually try to change my thinking and my actions. If I catch myself or those around me expressing prejudice thoughts, I consider that we are all human beings with thoughts, feelings, dreams, hopes and fears. We all have a right to believe our own ways and hold our own opinions. NO ONE has the right to force or impose their opinions, views and ways on others. Respect and celebrate our differences. We could all learn so much from each other if we would just take the chance and the time to listen."

"Awesome project. Thanks for putting it all together. Excellent teaching tool. Very well done!"

"You really gave us something to think about. We all have to evaluate who we are and how we treat others. Thanks."

"I'm so impressed with what you have accomplished with this project, which is so AWESOME! This needs to go on a road trip to public buildings- including the Student Union Building."

"Gloria Steinem, Harriet Tubman, Martin Luther King Jr., Wilma Mankiller, Gandhi, and on and on, would be proud. It is a gripping display and so vital to this still ethically- challenged world. Thank you so much for what so many (but not enough) of us feel in our hearts and heads but can't express visually. Thank you for speaking volumes for us with your beautiful art."

"Wonderful exhibit- amazing and inspiring- Thank you for listening to your inner voice! Someday- Someday- there will be peace and love for all."

"These issues have and still walk with us, in our culture, religion and schools. Individual expression and tolerance to varying degrees reaches us through our experiences and myths. It is good to take pause and think of how we fit."

"Super interesting, educational, and fascinating! Thank you- U R beautiful!!!"

"Love them! Thank you to the Library for sponsoring this artist and thank you to the artist for giving voice to a more inclusive world."

"I was raised in a home without prejudice, It was hard for me to understand when I went out into the "real" world that people were judged on their appearance. Oddly my first encounter was not with someone who was a different color, but was, what is often called "handicapped." It was something I never forgot and have raised my children to respect ALL people.
Imagine my surprise when I started working with other races and was called a "honky." I found out that even though the white race is blamed for being prejudice, the races that complain the most about discrimination are the ones that seem to hate the most.
We need more wonderful exhibits like this to constantly remind us we are all just HUMANS."

Today a five-year-old visited the library, and a staff member and I noticed that he was peeling off the jean skin of one of the mannequin's hands. We immediately asked him to stop and explained that he was not supposed to touch the statues, but look at them. We continued, "Why were you peeling this off?"  He responded promptly and with little thought. "I don't like them."  "Why don't you like them?" we asked. "I just don't like them, he said, "and I don't like the words." It was difficult for the five-year-old to articulate why exactly he didn't like the statues. He didn't say they were ugly. He didn't say they were scary. The impression I got was that the young child felt the urge to destroy the statue because it was different and foreign. Even at such a young age, we can pass harsh judgments on others, especially, it seems, on others who appear to be different from ourselves. In this case, the child who didn't like the foreign and strange statue, reacted by attempting to change it. From what I could tell, the child didn't think he was doing anything wrong- he probably even thought he was doing a service by making the statue look better in his own eyes. Little did the child know, that by changing the piece of art, he was destroying it.

"I have experienced also the most discrimination and prejudice from those that claim to be a minority.. Come on! Get Real. It all starts individually, one-by-one with ourselves. I also was raised in a wonderful unbiased home that accepted everyone. It is a wake-up call to see how prejudice others are that claim they want to be treated "equally." Expect to have "equal" disappointments and trials- It's called Life! Get One!"

The Library touches minds for those who find the words as portals. Nice place! They are awesome!

I'm amazed... this is so thought provoking and, given it's been over forty years since the "official" end of Jim Crow/ segregation/ separate-but equal etc. I find it sad that we still have the need to create art that reinforces the harm that prejudice causes- over and over, from generation to generation. At what point will all people realize that we all bleed red?

Modern Art is always amazing! I thought of the unknown faces of the Holocaust victims.

Wow! Really amazing work! Thanks for showing this- YES!

This Place is Awesome! and love the books. XD

OH YEAH! The library is amazing!

Good job with the sculptures! They are amazing!! Good place to put it.

I love being different. I'm Brilliantly different. So are you!

I find this display of "art" rediculous -we do have a choice we should not judge others- more or less- empty of thought- How we feel? (about what!?) -Waste of space- and looked very sparse effort---

I am 11 years old and I have an African-American cousin. She has been racist to me, but God loves us all!

I am Sorry. Love / Peace and God bless.

Peace! I love it!

I love, LOVE your artistic achievement. I recently was working on body art and had some positive and negative responses, so I really appreciate your exhibit!!!

Great exhibit! Thank you for sharing.

Nice- INTERESTING!

This really stood out to me. I completely agree. Everything you said I feel.

I wanted to physically touch the art, because it touched my heart. I choose to love this art piece.

Love everyday.

It looks cool!

These 4 human figures are so real. I had to touch one. Yes people judge. If I could have chosen, I would have wanted to be taller.

Wow... Great job! very thought provoking- everyone needs to just "LOVE" one another.

You should sell this on ebay for a million bucks!

It's OK to be different cause we're still all the same- Human.

So Legit!

Pure brilliance. 

We all may be made or look different, but we all have a heart and soul. Love one another- don't hate!

What a wonderful idea. Where I come from, we are very mixed so you will see all kinds of skin colors, which I love and appreciate the opportunity to be part of such a great variety. I hope one day we will see that we were created as equals and should love and treat others with kindness and respect, regardless what skin color they are- I love your art work!

I think they are cool- Thanks

They scare me.

Me too! especially when you come in the library to open it and it's dark!

Interesting concept!

I love it! It gives me a whole new concept to think about.

Very creative! I enjoyed your art work and the answers people gave to your questions- It shows that the world is changing.

Beautiful!

Thanks for the thoughts your art brought to my heart.

It's cool to realize that we're all the same, and helps us have a new understanding. They're so cool!!

I don't get it.

I love them, I wish I had one.

I thought this was very thought provoking. I really enjoy seeing some interesting art here in Brigham City. This is definitely eye-catching.

Get them out of here!!!!!!!!! Now!                     

Thank you for sharing this captivating artwork. I too have wanted to say we are all the same, especially as we celebrate our independence and the right every person shares for life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Ideally put! what a beautiful work you've done, thanks for sharing.

A little too "Silence of the Lambs" for me.

Some of the sayings are offensive. Especially about the older generation. RESPECT.

What are they spost to be? But I like them.

So, so interesting & creative- and good job on the lettering!

Nice to see a little progressive art in Brigham City. Thanks.

These are amazing pieces of artwork!

They are very interesting.

Wierd!

Today, it is about where we're from and how we got here. We have to open our perception to all aspects of a person to really appreciate them. Thanks for your efforts.

Amazing!!

What a beautifully conceived and executed artistic statement. Thank you for sharing this amazing art work with us.

I hate it! It's Gay like you guys!

Not to judge people, I don't care if they're gay, lezbo or anything. People are people and we should treat everyone the same. 

This is a good lesson for everybody.

These statues look real.

This exhibit is very good.

I like this book. 

Love this display- Thanks for sharing- hopefully lots of people will look and learn.

This was inspiring to see, I hope that many others will see it.

It's all about Point of View.

They are so cool!! I love them so much!

I love your artwork- It made me think. I agree that skin color should not matter (except when buying make-up) :) Oh what a world we would have if there was more acceptance of others- Thank you for doing your part to help us see this beautiful concept.

My daughter (13) and I took a long time looking at these to really try to understand. She was puzzled by the threads until I pointed to her own jeans' seams and then she understood. We'll talk about it on the way home today. Thank you.

I love it! It gives us all something to ponder!

Very impressive! Great and original idea- What a unique way to express such a controversial topic. Thank you and congratulations!

Thank you! I like how they are all different but also the same. I also like how the last one talks about how we feel and how others feel. It's a wonderful presentation of values.

Amazing, just amazing! However, our president is half black- and half white- DNA says he's not really a black President. 

Quite an attention grabber! I was a bit puzzled until I read the Artist Statement, but I think it's a great idea. It makes you think about a lot...

They make an important statement about how a community should be.

Very thought provoking and beautiful! Hope to see more!

"Finding common ground as human beings!" Beautiful art work!

Very impressive! Nice idea.

Very Cool! I felt very moved. Thank you!!

Vast and ever changing!

This is a very thought-provoking display. Thank you for sharing your vision, your statement, and your values.

Our "jeans" make us human!

As a "white" adoptive mom of two beautiful, kind, generous, smart, fun, adventurous, thoughtful "brown" children, I was very moved by this display. If you think about it, we are all shades of brown, every one of us. Thank you and please continue to enlighten people with this display.

Thank you for bringing this to Pocatello. I hope many people come to see it and think about it.

Thank you for having this display. As a mom of 2 bi-racial children and a wife of an Asian- I know no one has EVER asked them their ethnicity- They get the blank filled in for them or a judgement is made based on their appearance. I love the jeans and genes- They do unite us!

Very thought provoking!

Great work! It is very interesting and made us think-

How creative! It's so wonderful!

My first reaction was not about race but about all the other things we don't choose- sexual orientation, mental illness, physical disabilities and all the things used for judging others.

keep up the amazing work and please continue to spread your views on openness and tolerance! Love, Love, Love!!!

Looks amazing! very interesting, they caught my eye!

I found this very moving. Keep up the great views.

Let's be a little easier on each other today. Thank you!

That's amazing and very cool. Great work. Keep it up.

I like how you are expressing yourself and getting people to open their eyes more.

If I could change my skin color I would be purple, because people would be like, "Whoa! that's one crazy looking dude!" I would then reply, "My father was a grape... He was killed in Napa Valley when I was a child." This would be untrue of course, though I would just be a purple dude.  (I usually don't reply to comments made in the book- but I have to say, I love people with great imagination)

Very cool- art- Powerful! Thank you.

This is so cool! I love this art display. Ingenious.

Great Job!!

Bueno

The only ones that insist on seeing race are those who stand to gain from it. What a shame.

I like the title.

Great Show!

Brilliant!

(Someone wrote something in Japanese or Chinese or Korean, that I wish I could add- but I don't know how- Thank you for your comments, I wish I could read them.)

Stop racism and stop sexism! all is negativity! We are ALL part of the same race! THE HUMAN RACE!

I love racism I like how theze are made of jeans. It looks awesome (age seven)

These are really cool and send out a nice message. Are they made of denim? (age ten)

I loved your work! One thing that has concerned me lately is the phrase, "race doesn't matter." Of course, it matters! People of all ethnicities should be PROUD of who they are and where they come from! But at the end of the day, we're all people who deserve respect and dignity.

I am a proud believer that we should all be treated the same, and that people who think otherwise, have no heart.

We loved this! Every person on Earth should stand up against any kind of prejudice be it color, sex, religion, educational level or anything! Good on ya!

We spend far too much time in our legislature, trying to govern and dictate, how others should live and act. The second the words, "God said," or "God's word" or God's anything ... was the moment when the constitution was questioned. I say questioned, because that's when human rights started being sanctioned. The constitution states that we should not mix God (religion) and law onto others, because mixing or enmeshing the two, creates opinions and beliefs to run the statehoods and our country. Laws are supposed to be unbiassed and made for the governing and safety of the people, not opinions. Therefore, if the only argument be that of God and his/her feelings, then the argument is null and void. The supreme court gave me hope, that our judicial system isn't quite washed up... nor is the constitution.

What utter rot! No standards and we are not more than animals. No art, no beauty! This is Crap!

(arrow pointing to above comment) This guy is an ---hole! 

The work is interesting and thought provoking. The comments previously made (above) are a strong indicator of the need to think about prejudices and judgement and reasonable interaction. 

I only read a little bit of this. Thank you!

A fantastic piece. Thought provoking and very punny. We all need to be aware of ourselves and yet still consider others as a part of our own full potential as humans as a whole. One planet, one love.

(Arrow pointing to above comment) Nice comment- I agree.

Not that interesting. It looks at one area of being human.. the superficial and not much else. As a three dimensional work you would expect more depth. (excuse the pun) 1. For one it misses a level of spirituality... something 70% of humanity holds dear. you would expect "God" somewhere on these, and I am an atheist. 2. There is no emotion in the pieces. If you want to move somebody, involve emotion. My inner dialogue looks like- something like, "I hate every @#!^*! person on the planet," and truth be told if you looked into someone's soul and not these little platitudes you have written here, you would hear that loud and clear.

(intended for above comment) NEED... to say something?

We all turn the same color when you skin us- Bone and sinew, muscle and teeth- That's what's really underneath. Why do we care so much about the outside!

This exhibit makes sense!

They're nude!

Put clothes on them!

(intended for above comment) Why?

There are racists from all races, creeds, classes. Not one is immune to it so... Let's knock it off!

All men (humans) are created equal, so why is it always a racial thing? This color, that color. Black white etc. It's God's plan. Read Gen. Noah and his wife- that's where we as different colors came from. 1. the white race 2. the black race 3. the red race 4. the yellow race- Four brothers of different color. born to Noah and his wife. It's all God's plan, so get off the racial B.S. and remember, what if you weren't color at all.

Absolutely amazing! Eye opening and inspiring. Love your medium.

I am human!!!!

What a great way to express a message and feeling!

There is no such thing as equality in reality. It is an ideal. A dream- I'm a mixed bag of race. Sometimes I'm white, sometimes black, it all depends on who's looking. Racial labels only exist to distance. You want to be human? Forget there is such a thing as race, but don't think everyone is equal- You'd just be lying to yourself- A fellow artist and human

There are no black roads nor white steps just roads and steps. There is no white cry nor black lament just cry and lament. Trying to find differences just shows how we look alike.

It's interesting to watch people see the exhibit for the first time.

I really like it and how the words really stand out.

It's really inspiring to read and I really like the bold words.

Very cool, wish more people would think like this.

Que bonito!

Mormons are the most racist and hypocrites. They judge everyone else when they have no right to! Only God can judge. 

(Arrows pointing to above comment) True Dat! (&) I agree! (&) LIKE! 

(Arrows pointing to last two above comments) All of the above are too quick to judge! HA!

(Arrow on opposite page pointing back at above three comments) Who cares! only your own judgment really matters about yourself.

What is so original about this?

I like it!

Gay Latina guy hates that white Lesbian woman.
Anti Religious woman hates that Hindu guy.
Japanese American feels like he's better than the Chinese guy from France.
That white guy who voted for Barak Obama thinks the black guy who voted for John McCain in 2008 is an Uncle Tom.
That rich family having not met the poor family does not care
that the poor family having not met the rich family thinks they have noses in the air-
And it's all so Unfair!

This was a really neat sight! My friend and I were just discussing judgmental people and how painful and wrong it is to judge. Thank you for sharing this with us.

It is good for people to see who we are, how we act, what we feel and what we are like. Even when they don't understand. From head to toe, thank you.

This exhibit is inspiring. It's  a great way to appreciate the arts. 

I was looking at the exhibit, trying to find out what it meant when it dawned on me, "Value in Genes" and the figures have denim on them. Genes = Jeans. That's so punny!

How do you know that we didn't choose our genes? It depends on our spiritual beliefs I guess.

My gut feeling is that the art is not happy- But it's a great project.

I love it- describes the entire national words

I like it. the whole point is to open our eyes to the things our species as a whole needs to work on. If everyone saw the world this way, we would be a better united species.

(Arrow pointing to above comment) I love it too! Fantastic. Inspiring. Beyond educational. Everyone on Earth should see this. Very moving. Classic Art.

I thought these were amazing. You put a lot of work and thought into this. Even though these mannequins aren't famous, they still touch and change a lot of people (including me) Thank you for being an amazing artist and loving aunt.













No comments:

Post a Comment